Thursday 5 November 2015

Helping Students Ask Good Questions

"The wise man doesn't give the right answers,
he asks the right questions"
Claude Levi-Srauss 



As a young student, as far back as the third grade, I can remember the butterflies and my barely controlled enthusiasm building up inside of me as the teacher prepared to ask for students to voice their opinion, to answer, or ask questions. My desire to participate was so strong that it took everything in my power to keep my hand from shooting up in the air while the silent voice in my head screamed, “Pick me, pick me.” I wanted to be part of the action, I wanted to show interest, I wanted to participate and as the excitement to do so would build, it would just as quickly dissolve. Why you may ask? I struggled to overcome my fear of asking the dreaded “stupid” question. Not only was I afraid of making a fool of myself, but even though my will to participate was strong, I realized that, more importantly, I had no idea what to say, what to ask, or how to contribute. More often than not I would let other students take the lead, and more often than not I would think, “I could have done that, I could have asked or answered that question.
As I got older I began to realize that it wasn’t that I was afraid to speak out, as much as it was not knowing what to ask and how to ask it.

As a teacher I don’t want to be standing in front of students who are feeling the way I felt, so willing to participate without the skills to do so. I think it is important for teachers to educate students on the styles of questions and help them practice the art of questioning, on their way to developing skills in critical thinking.
           
Here is an example where an English teacher has used the class to make up a questions board. Doing this not only allows the class to know that it is important to ask questions, but they are also able to come up with types of questions that they can ask.


In the April 2013 edition of Scholastic Education Teaching Tip of the month, Sue Jackson discusses how we can teach students to ask their own critical inquiry questions. First, we simplify the task by identifying the two types of wonders that a student can ask…

Different Kinds of Wonders
Heart Wonders
Research Wonders
- Questions you can answer with your heart and mind
- ex. What makes a best friend a best friend?
- Questions that you can look up in books, magazines, on the computer, or by observing
- ex. What goes on under an ant pile?



Specifically more with older students, it is important to spend time teaching them the different kinds of questions to show that different questions have different purposes and are not created equally (Jackson, 2013). The chart below would be a helpful way to outline the different kinds of questions and their purposes.


Kinds of Questions
Factual Retrieval
Personal Preference
Critical Inquiry
Fact Questions
Imagine Questions
Interpretive questions
- have only one correct answer
- provide an understanding of the details of a topic
- good for 'mini-inquiries'
- ask for some kind of opinion, belief or point of view- no wrong answers
- good for leading discussions
- rarely make for good inquiry-based projects because internally focused
- have more than one answer but must be supported with evidence - effective for starting class discussions and for stimulating oral and written tasks - good for inquiry-based learning

Teachers can easily provide opportunities for students to practice creating and responding to the various types of questions. While learning questioning techniques, this is also a way for teachers to direct students’ focus and efforts on important issues related to their community, current events and important issues taking place in the world around them.
At the end of Jackson’s article there is a helpful activity that is useful to any grade level and helps them refine questions for inquiry based learning. By definition, inquiry based learning is a classroom that encourages intellectual engagement and the ability to foster deep understanding through the development of hands-on, minds-on and ‘research based disposition’ towards teaching an learning (Jackson, 2013). In other words, teacher and students work collaboratively to tackle real-world questions and issues, while also developing their own questions, research and communication skills for everyday life.

In school we have always been taught how important it is to question everything but you’re never really taught how. Once students understand the types of questions and how to formulate the appropriate question, whether they are looking to challenge opinion or find facts, they can then begin to steer their own learning environment towards matters of the heart, the ‘true’ questions they have about things they really care about. The beautiful thing is, it is a positive cycle, because the more they understand and feel comfortable with questioning techniques, the more questions they will ask, and the more a student participates, the more invested they become in their own learning.


References

Jackson, S. (2013). Helping Students Develop the Ability to Ask Good Questions.

Stephenson, N. Introduction to Inquiry Based Learning. Retrieved from

3 comments:

  1. Hey Victoria, I think for your last blog you chose a really good topic as it was different in relation to the other topics we have discussed in class. First, I want to say that you always have a profound understanding and perspective of what you are talking about and your inclusion of personal insights are always well thought out. Your use of metaphors such as “I can remember the butterflies…” helps the reader to comprehend your insights in a much creative way. I think you emphasized the concept of how teachers should consider educating their students on the styles of questions that can enhance and help them practice the art of questioning, in order to develop strong skills in critical thinking and analysis. The visual representation of the charts, exemplifying the 2013 Scholastic Education Tip of the Month of the two kinds of wonders and the kinds of questions helps the audience to get your ideas across, especially those who are visual learners. You also touched upon the concept of inquiry-based learning which transitioned well into aiding students to refine their questions in the classroom setting. Your paragraphs are easy to read and they flow continuously from one point to the next; organized into cohesive paragraphs. Your conclusion sums up the most important points made in your blog and I enjoyed reading it. A suggestion that I can give you is that if you incorporated your introductory quote within the conclusion, it would make a good connection and further comprise your subject or topic. As well, you could have included questions within your blog that would allow your readers to reflect, probing their thinking and getting them to question its effectiveness. Overall, great work on this blog and I hope you continue writing more blogs in your future teaching endeavours! Also, I like the image at the top illustrating the child asking a question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria, I really enjoyed reading your last blog. Knowing how to ask questions is a great skill to have, and I agree that we should teach students how to ask questions. Hanging a large piece of paper with potential questions is such a good technique to implement in a class. For a student that wants to participate, but is anxious, they may spend a lot of time trying to coming with a good question to ask, and not be fully present while a teacher is talking. Even for myself, during lectures I will think of things I want to say and take a lot of time processing my thoughts in my head, and miss what the teacher is lecturing on. By having a question sheet, students can come up with a question to ask quickly and remain fully engaged in the lesson. Even though having a question sheet in a class may seem like something only for younger grades, I think that it can totally be applicable for older grades. In older grades students are asked to think more critically, so a teacher could put up a list of critical thinking questions. This is something that I will definitely include in my classes in the future.
    In moving forward, I would encourage you to utilize more sources. The guidelines for the forum require that you use the EDUC 4P19 textbook as a source, which you did not do for this most recent blog. However, although you did not have many sources, your personal reflections/experiences in the blogs are always really well done. Your personal reflections/experiences are always related to your topic, and always add clarity. In this post, starting with your personal story really set the tone for the entire blog, and I knew exactly what you were going to be talking about.

    In closing I will leave you with a question, do you think that building trust with students is important in them feeling comfortable participating?

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Victoria,

    You had another excellent blog this week! Your blogs throughout these two and a half months have been very easy to connect with as you provide so much personal reflection. This is probably my favourite part of reading your blogs; there is always a new insight into your teaching journey.

    Something I have taken from your blog and tried to do more in my own is adding more personal connections. You gave great examples of this, so thank you for that!

    From the background to always having colour and appropriate photos, you blog is always fun to read. I found this week’s blog to be particularly insightful and necessary. Teaching students to ask good questions, and maybe more importantly not to be scared to ask questions is such a great topic. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people start their question with, “This might be a dumb question, but…” and so learning to ask questions and good ones is imperative.

    As I’ve mentioned, I have really enjoyed your blog since September. I hope you continue writing and growing as a blogger taking you through your education journey. To further the validity of your arguments I would recommend searching for more sources on your topics, however I really enjoyed all of your personal touches.

    To further question your thinking, how might you implement the use of “good” questions into your art classes? You mentioned inquiry-based learning, which is a great method for students to come up with question, however where else might you guide students?

    Best of luck,

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete